Along with summer come popsicles, ice cream, snow cones and all that is cool and refreshing. It’s time for BRAIN FREEZE! 5 Facts and Theories About BRAIN FREEZE:
- The Scientific name for “brain freeze” is: Spehenopalatie Ganglioneuralgia . It is caused by nerve pain in a branch of the facial nerve when sudden cold hits the roof of mouth
- Also called “Ice Cream Headache”
- Cold hits the roof of mouth and constricts the blood vessels and then causes quick return to normal – constriction/dilation = OUCH! Pain!
- People that experience migraines suffer more brain freezes with more intensity
- Suggested remedies (not very effective) A) put tongue on roof of mouth;B) eat more slowly; C) Put ice cream down; D) Drink a glass of warm liquid (that would defeat the purpose wouldn’t it?)