As a hospitalist group specializing in services to community hospitals, our hospitalists must be able to hit the ground running on their first scheduled week at the hospital. It also means that there are new employees going to different locations where varied duties are expected. We needed an onboarding process that ensured that each provider is prepared for their clinical day on the first shift they are scheduled.
We created a 10 step process that welcomes, assesses, and prepares new providers to be
successful in their clinical environment. The ten steps are segmented into two phases.
Phase I is set at our corporate offices and includes small group and personalized discussions
1. Examine Company Mission and Values
2. Review HR Benefits and Expectations
3. Assess Procedural Skills in Our Sim Lab
4. Discuss Coding/Documentation Procedures & Guidelines
5. Patient Experience Training – Part I
Phase II is set at the hospital where new hire will work and includes one on one
7. EHR Training
6. Facility Orientation
9. Review of Site Specific Expectations
8. Clinical Shadowing with Site Director
10. Billing Training & Documentation Review
We have significantly improved the integration of new physicians in our organization by creating a standardized process which every new physician follows. We emphatically believe that retention starts at contract signing and this process further solidifies that point.